Chile - Batuco Wetlands[2]

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #72262 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Chile - Batuco Wetlands[2]
I paid a second visit to the Batuco wetlands this morning (Saturday), three weeks after my first visit. As so often happens with wetlands there was a very different set of waterbirds present and I added another 8 species to my Chile list, which now stands at 80.

Here are some new ones and a few from last time where I managed to improve on my photos.

Snowy Egret - very similar to our Little Egret

Black-necked Swan

....and in company with a Coscoroba Swan

Yellow-winged Blackbird, male....

....and female

Grassland Yellow-Finch

Bar-winged Cinclodes

Lesser Yellowlegs - the only 2 I saw today, and 1 Greater Yellowlegs. Are they going to overwinter, or are they just the stragglers still to head north?

White-backed Stilt

Cinnamon Teal, males & females

...female in flight

Mixed ducks in flight - include Red Shoveler, Cinnamon Teal, Yellow-billed Pintail and Chiloe Wigeon. I don't recall ever seeing such large duck movements at Marievale, and flights of ducks are usually of a single species.

White-backed Stilt with Red Shoveler (centre), Yellow-billed Pintail (right) and Yellow-billed [or Speckled] Teal (left). Superficially similar the Teal and Pintail can be easily separated when together, due to the smaller size, darker head, shorter neck and unmarked flanks of the former.

Yellow-billed Pintail

There are 3 common and widespread coots in the Chilean lowlands. Bill and shield colour are the best way to separate them.

Red-fronted Coot - has a very dark red shield and red base to a bright yellow bill. It is also the only one of the 3 that constantly cocks it tail like a moorhen or gallinule when walking.

Red-gartered Coot - has a pale yellow shield separated from a darker yellow bill by a red "bill scarf"

When you get to see its legs you can just about make out the narrow red "garters" at the top the legs that give it its name.

...here with some very unconcerned Red Shoveler and Cinnamon Teal (really being dowsed with water)

White-winged Coot - not a very convincing photo, but this one has an all-yellow bill and shield. With a Chiloe Wigeon.

Chimango Caracara - this is an extremely common bird. Hard to believe that a raptor fills the ecological niche of crows here in Chile (there are NO crows!). I have seen flocks - if can say flock for a raptor - of 10-20 birds on the ground in fields, just as you'd expect to see crows. His bigger cousin the Southern Caracara is often seen in groups numbering up to 100 individuals at rubbish dumps, just as we'd expect to see Marabou Storks.

American Kestrel - male. This is probably the most common small raptor here in Chile.

P.S. 24 hours on and I have been going through hundreds of photos of hundreds if not thousands of ducks. So, just to show the value of taking photos - a lifer I didn't know that I had seen. One solitary White-cheeked Pintail amidst all the other ducks, seen here with Yellow-billed Pintail and Red Shoveler. Described in Alvaro Jamillo's "Birds of Chile" as "rare but widespread"

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• marktittley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #72301 by marktittley
marktittley replied the topic: Re: Chile - Batuco Wetlands[2]
Wow, Neil. What a fascinating report. How awesome to see cousins of some of the water birds that we get here in South Africa. You certainly are having the time of your life!

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #72311 by docandy
docandy replied the topic: Re: Chile - Batuco Wetlands[2]
Stunning photos and commentry! :D

More
5 years 6 months ago #72343 by Ian_H
Ian_H replied the topic: Re: Chile - Batuco Wetlands[2]
Excellent post!
Thanks for sharing
Enjoy!