European Honey-Buzzard at Northern Farm

• Jacques P
  • Jacques P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #65318 by Jacques P
Jacques P created the topic: European Honey-Buzzard at Northern Farm
Hi All,

Today (14 Jan), Birdlife President Ridge had an outing to Northern Farm. The morning started out with Long-crested Eagle and Yellow Wagtail (lifer #1). There were many Barn Swallows and some White-throated Swallows over the cattle grids. Next up were the typical grassveld species, with Zitting Cisticola, African Wattled Plover, African Stonechat, etc... all being recorded. There were also some Amur Falcons between the usual Black-shouldered (Black-winged) Kites. The light was very beautiful and the landscapes of the rolling hills with a few farm buildings in the grassland and wild flowers popping up all over the place, with the stands of 'alien' trees(mostly populars and pines), were reminiscent of summer in Europe. The roads were in good condition even though the recent rains. Then we headed to the Fish Eagle Lake which produced Great Crested Grebe and Red-knobbed Coot; the adjacent grassland had displaying White-winged Widowbirds and some Yellow-crowned Bishops a.k.a 'Bumblebee' (always entertaining to watch them display). We then had picnick at the main dam (with the hide), where we heard Lesser Swamp-warbler and the ever elusive Little Rush-warbler, if I could just see the bird it would be a lifer, but its descending call still taunts me, just a reason to go back I guess. A Little Bittern was also startled out of the reedbed. While having picnick Jane Irvine pointed out a European Honey-Buzzard (lifer #2, what a way to start the year) that passed over head and circled over the dam a couple of times, giving us enough time for some poor record photos. All of us were of course extremely excited about this sighting. It seams that Marievale is not the only place to search for some goodies, :) . Finally the convoy moved to the entrance dam where a juvenile African Fish-Eagle was perched and two Grey Herons were standing in the reeds on the opposite side of the dam. A Cape Grassbird made an appearance in the grassy area behind the dam and then Jane identified the call of a Marsh Warbler in the weedy patches in the same area. This would be a lifer to most so we went to search for it and after a patient wait we got a brief view of it as it responded to the 'phishing' (lifer #3). To much frustration I heard Desert Cisticola in the nearby grassland, but failed to locate it, would have been another lifer, but as I said it and the Little Rush-warbler will keep me coming back. My total for the outing was 67, but Jane's total reached 82. It was most defintely a very productive morning, and I am eager to return asap.

Happy Birding in 2012,
Jacques.

PS. Sorry that I didn't post any photos of the trip, I struggle with the uploading of them, could someone maybe help with that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #65329 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: European Honey-Buzzard at Northern Farm
Hi Jacques.

What is the problem you experience when trying to upload?

I sometimes get a "server has generated and internal error" but only when I use my Safari browser.

Tapatalk on my phone has not given me any problems yet.

I thought it might then just be my browser.

Nice trip report by the way.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.019861,27.983778
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Jacques P
  • Jacques P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #65379 by Jacques P
Jacques P replied the topic: Re: European Honey-Buzzard at Northern Farm
Hello Doug,

Thanks for your compliment. Maybe I should rephrase myself, I don't know how to post pictures. I posted pics once on my Suikerbosrand report but that failed. Another problem I see is that I can't access the photobucket website, is there maybe an alternative way for posting pics?

Regards,
Jacques.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #65380 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: European Honey-Buzzard at Northern Farm
When posting, you can just attach photos to the post. Look just below the post text window.