day trip wakkerstroom

• arty
  • arty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #63873 by arty
arty created the topic: day trip wakkerstroom
great day for us,Doug and i left at about 01.30 arriving in wakkerstroom at about five. Bad rain till about Standerton so roads where not great and even worse on our return later in the afternoon.Not great photography weather as it was mostly overcast all day but Doug had a ball recording.Having Doug and a local Birdlife SA guide called Lucky was awesome and resulted in one of the most successful birding days for me producing no less than 13 lifers and 99 percent of the Wakkerstroom specials.I f i can clear up the id request posted in that thread it might change to 14.Did not manage to photograph most of the lifers due to bad light,the distance away of some of the birds and the impossible task of getting birds like yellow breasted pipit,rudd's and botha's lark.The only special i dipped on was ground woodpecker which will take me back to Wakkerstroom for a few days next time.My lifer list for the day was.
Denham's Bustard,Common Quail,Rudd's and Botha's Lark,Blue Koorhan,Buff Streaked Chat,Bush Blackcap,Dark Capped Yellow Warbler,Drakensburg Prinia,White Bellied Bustard[Barrow's]Roberts 7 show's these two as the same?Yellow breasted Pipit,Black Saw Wing,Olive Bush Shrike. Also heard Barret's Warbler and Pale Crowned Cisticola.I am sure there where a couple more but i will walk away with the confirmed sightings and be more than happy.Good sightings of Grey Crowned Crane,Blue Crane,Jackal and Stepped Buzzard, Secretary Bird,African Pipit,Spike Heeled Pipit,African Marsh Harrier,Southern Bald Ibis,All the widows,Pin Tailed Whydah,Amur Falcon and many more made this a really good day.Even Doug was rather animated in his happiness at such a good day at Wakkerstroom.
Southern Masked weaver

Male Sentinel Rock Thrush

Female Sentinel Rock Thrush

Juvenile Europeon Swallow

Dark Capped Yellow Warbler

Female Buff Streaked Chat

Male Buff Streaked Chat

Juvenile Steppe Buzzard

Bokmekierie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #63894 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: day trip wakkerstroom
Awesome trip report. It was a good day's birding.

P.s. I'm always animated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• marktittley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #63934 by marktittley
marktittley replied the topic: Re: day trip wakkerstroom
Arty, I don't know if you have been to Memel but on my last 2 trips I have seen Ground Woodpecker in the same place. Here are the co-ordinates (in the different formats):

-27.727789 29.603226
S27 43 40 E29 36 11
S 27 43.667 E 29 36.194

As you drive along the S781 dirt road from the R34 tar road just after going through the town of Memel you will come to this point where there is a big rocky hill on the left hand side. The Ground Woodpeckers can be seen on the various large rocks that are scattered around the hill. I have even called them down to the fence on the side of the road by playing their call.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #63936 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: day trip wakkerstroom
I still need to visit Memel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• arty
  • arty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #63939 by arty
arty replied the topic: Re: day trip wakkerstroom
thanks mark will try and get there.

• sulamk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #63944 by sulamk
sulamk replied the topic: Re: day trip wakkerstroom
I have often seen them in the rocks by the bridge , just below the Zaihoek Dam Wall!

• Rusty Justy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #64141 by Rusty Justy
Rusty Justy replied the topic: Re: day trip wakkerstroom
Yes I also have got them there very often, as well as just over that ridge at the bridge crossing the Slangrivier....