Eastern Free State a very dangerous place for birds!

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #14698 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Eastern Free State a very dangerous place for birds!
HI all.

Did some casual birding today and it started off with this picture of a European Roller near the Holhoek hike..... Note the entire front half of the top bill is missing....

And then we found this female Amur Falcon on the same road about 2 hours later with a suspected broken/sprained wing.

I called Lorna Stanton and she put me in touch with Dr. Pieter Koornhof from Bethlehem who also runs a rehab center. I will give you all an update as we are taking the bird through to Bethlehem to have it looked at and will post an update on the health/status of the bird.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #14703 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Eastern Free State a very dangerous place for birds!
Hi all.

Just finished at the rehab service in bethlehem. Good news. It is probably just a sprain of the wing and a concusion and the bird should make a full recovery and hopeful release.

If you are ever in this area with injured birds you can contact Dr. Pieter Koornhof on 083 255 6257.

Nice way to round off the year with a happy ending.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #14750 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Eastern Free State a very dangerous place for birds!
Glad to know the Amur will be ok!!