• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #53094 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Marievale and Rietpan trip report
HI all.
Herewith a trip report for Marievale.

I arrived early at Marievale before sunrise to be greeted by some very cole weather with nasty windy conditions.It was clear the wind was going to make for very tough birding conditions.

The drive in did produce Marsh Owl which was a good start to the day but the wind had resulted in the water being clear of almost all waterfowl except for a few Red-knobbed Coot, Cape Shoveler and Red-billed Teal.

The usual winter presence of Lesser Swamp-warbler was supplemented by the distant call of a lone Little rush-warbler and all as a White-winged Tern flew over. The usual abundance of waterfowl was replaced by a dominance of Yellow-billed Duck. On the way out we headed past the chalets and managed to add Mountain Wheatear.

After a slow start to the day we headed through the suburbs of Nigel and although we dipped on Cut-throat Finch, we did add Red-headed Finch and a few other species.

From there we headed up to Rietpan and on the way to the pan added a good collection of Larks in Red-capped Lark, Spike-heeled Lark and Rufous-naped Lark. The cat-like meowing of Cape Longclaw was ever present. When we got to the pan itself, there were massive numbers of Spur-winged Goose overwintering and molting.

We moved on to the site of the famous Namibian "grey-naped" race of African Pipit a few years ago and the site did not dissapoint with yet another grey-naped race of African Pipit present again.

The tally for the day was a bit low and so I headed back to Marievale, picking up Familiar Chat in teh suburbs of Nigel. At Marievale I decided to push on as teh only duck species I was still missing was Hottentot Teal. At 14h30 the finally came out to brave the bitter cold and I could leave satisfied that this was about as good as my day list was going to get.

Heading back out I picked up Pied Starling and Cape Glossy Starling to round off to a perfect 70 species in very trying birding conditions in which the day temperature never rose above 9 Degrees all day and winds in excess of 15 km/h.

Trip list
Little Grebe
White-breasted Cormorant
Reed Cormorant
African darter
Purple Heron
Grey Heron
Black-headed Heron
Little egret
African Spoonbill
Glossy Ibis
Spur-winged Goose
Egyptian Goose
Yellow-billed Duck
Cape Shoveler
Red-billed Teal
Hottentot Teal
Black-shouldered Kite
Helmeted Guineafowl
Red-knobbed Coot
Common Moorhen
African Purple Swamphen
African Rail
Black Crake
Crowned Lapwing
Blacksmith Lapwing
Grey-headed gull
White-winged Tern
Speckled Pigeon
Rock Dove
Cape Turtle-dove
Laughing Dove
Red-eyed Dove
Marsh Owl
Malachite Kingfisher
African Hoopoe
Spike-heeled Lark
Red-capped Lark
Rufous-naped Lark
Brown-throated Martin
Pied Crow
Mountain Wheatear
Familiar Chat
Capped Wheatear
African Stonechat
Southern Anteating Chat
Little Rush-warbler
Lesser Swamp-warbler
Levaillant's Cisticola
Black-chested Prinia
Cape White-eye
Cape Wagtail
African Pipit
Cape Longclaw
Common Fiscal
Cape glossy Starling
Pied Starling
Wattled Starling
Common Myna
Cape Sparrow
House Sparrow
White-browed Sparrow-weaver
Southern Masked-weaver
Red-billed Quelea
Southern Red Bishop
Long-tailed Widowbird
Common Waxbill
Orange-breasted Waxbill
Red-headed Finch
Yellow Canary
Black-chested Prinia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #53133 by mossie
mossie replied the topic: Re: Marievale and Rietpan trip report
Oh OH, its only 69, Black chested prinia is counted twice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.