Marievale is awesome right now

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #762 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Marievale is awesome right now
I popped into Marievale late this afternoon after work to look around. WOW! The flooding is impressive...
The main grassland towards the concrete causeway is completely flooded and offered up a special for Marievale... LESSER MOORHEN!!!
Also present were dramatic numbers of African Sacred Ibis, Squacco heron and lots of Black Heron (26 in the parking spot near the bus stop alone). I Also saw a Yellowbilled Stork.

Around the back I got two African Marsh Harriers.

Finally I went past the old building at the end of the tarred road and through too the flooded fields. I got all the usual things and also 2 Black-winged Pratincoles!

On the animal front I got lots of Blesbok with young and a Scrub Hare. (At least I think it was).

On the frog side, large numbers of Common Caco were heard calling and a Striped Stream Frog had me very interested in a possible strange bird for a while at a flooded grass pan on the side of the N17.

For more info on location of either the Lesser Moorhen or the Black-winged Pratincole, email or call me. I will be adding these two nice species to the African Quailfinch twitch on Sunday as target species.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.