Forest elephants in Guinea - follow-up

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12728 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Forest elephants in Guinea - follow-up
I have being doing some Internet searching and discover that the Ziama Forest, which I visited to try to find the forest elephants, is a protected reserve, and:

1) the area is monitored by CITES, and in 1998 the forest elephant population was estimated at 108,
2) it is one of only 2 places in Guinea where the West African Pygmy Hippopotamus can be found (the other is only 30km from our base), there are supposedly about 60 of them,
3) it is one of Birdlife International's "Important Bird Areas" or IBAs.

The link below shows a 1997 Birdlife checklist of 133 species, of which I have only seen 11 to date.

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sites/index.html?action=SitHTMDetails.asp&sid=6375&m=0

On our trek through the forest we stopped to rest at one point and the forest was very quiet, but as we sat there the forest canopy came alive with sound. At one point I estimated 12 different birds calling. First to be heard was a Piet-my-vrou, then a Black Cuckoo - neither of which are on the list above! - followed by a call that I have subsequently been able to confirm as Olive Long-tailed Cuckoo. Is it that each of the cuckoos recognises competition from another cuckoo species and is "marking his territory"? It may just be coincidence but I find it strange that the 3 most vociferous should all be cuckoos.

The Birdlife list contains:

Endangered species (1) - Rufous Fishing-Owl
Near-threatened species (3) - Brown-cheeked Hornbill, Yellow-casqued Hornbill, Black-headed Rufous Warbler
Vulnerable species (4) - Western Wattled Cuckooshrike, Nimba Flycatcher, Yellow-bearded Greenbul and for me THE target bird of my stay in Guinea, Yellow-headed Picathartes.

Guess where I will be trying to arrange access and guides to do some weekend birding over the next few months!

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Shedman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #12743 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Forest elephants in Guinea - follow-up
Sounds wonderful, Neil, you'll soon be up there in the rarified atmosphere of the 1000+ world listers!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.