Forest elephants in Guinea - well not quite!

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12698 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Forest elephants in Guinea - well not quite!
I had hoped that this would be the successful follow-up to my amazing encounter with chimpanzees in the Guinea forest. However, our trip to locate some forest elephants turned into a bit of a "wash-out".

We had made prior arrangements to visit the forest accompanied by local guides, so our date was fixed. The night before the heavens opened and the forest area (and us in N'Zerekore 75km away) were deluged with over 100mm of rain. Although we arrived on an overcast morning it wasn't raining, but conditions underfoot were treacherous, muddy and slippery. The forest was a true steamy African jungle and it wasn't long before we were totally saturated with perspiration.

What we had not bargained on was that the normally fordable forest streams had come down in spate. Crossing them became a bit of a challenge as the photos below show - also what the forest looked like too. At the end of a sloshing 12km "endurance march" all we had to show for it were two sets of elephant tracks and some elephant-toppled trees! Maybe we'll try again in the dry season.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12699 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Forest elephants in Guinea - well not quite!
Envious as always

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12708 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Forest elephants in Guinea - well not quite!
Well all i can say is ... that i admire you for even attempting something like this.

12 Km of this would most probably send me to hospital.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome.