Guinea

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11417 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Guinea
Hi, All.

I find myself this morning in Conakry, the capital of Guinea, having endured a 26-hour trip to get here. I will be spending some 75% of my time here for the foreseeable future and my input to the various forums will be a bit more limited, but I will keep you up to date on what I see in this part of West Africa.

On this first 4-week trip I am armed only with a pair of Tasco pocket 10x25 binos and a copy of Sinclair and Ryan (Birds of Africa south of the Sahara), but hopefully will get a Canon and the long lens up here on subsequent trips.

This morning I have already chalked up from the seafront house where I will be for the first 2 nights, African Palm and Little Swifts, Pied Kingfisher, Laughing Dove, and 3 new ones, Western Reef Heron (dark & pale morphs), Common Bulbul and Ruppell's Vulture.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11419 by Jon
Jon replied the topic: Re: Guinea
Hi Neil,

If you dont mind me asking - what do you do that you are always away in awesome places?!

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11420 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Guinea
Jon,

I am a geologist and have been involved with the field management of exploration projects for the past 10 years.

Neil

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11429 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Guinea
Neil enjoy your stint in Onakry. Looking forward to some photos of the area and birds.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11432 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Guinea
Today I have moved on to N'Zérékoré, the 3rd biggest city of Guinea, in the south-east of the country close to the Sierra Leone, Cote d'Ivoire and Liberia borders. Saw rather a lot of birds flitting around as we drove in from the airfield, but the only ones I have been able to ID so far are in the garden of the house where I am staying - and only 3 at that - Common Bulbul, Northern Grey-headed Sparrow and another lifer and non-Southern African bird, a Black-necked Weaver.

Neil