Calling Mr. Burchell

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #42727 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman created the topic: Calling Mr. Burchell
We've been seeing and hearing a Burchell's Coucal recently, both on the complex and in the adjacent vlei. When I heard it calling this morning I tracked it down to a bush just over the stream, sitting in open sunlight - the very same bush where we saw our first ever BC just over two years ago! I stood on the back doorstep and filmed it calling. I'm fascinated by the way its body shakes, all the way down to the tail, when it calls. It looks like it takes a lot of effort to produce that call! I edited out the first 40 seconds as there was also a very loud dog calling in the background, so this is the result. Enjoy!

[youtube:vmp86hfs]O5zR8dOEYIA[/youtube:vmp86hfs]

Ô¿Ô

P.S. For some reason it won't play on YouTube so if you can't watch it here, follow this link to see it on my own website: [url=http://daveshedman.multiply.com/video/item/2/Burchells_Coucal_calling.:vmp86hfs]Burchell's Coucal Calling[/url:vmp86hfs]

P.P.S. - Seems to be working fine on You Tube now, no idea what the earlier problem was. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #42965 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Calling Mr. Burchell
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #42991 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Calling Mr. Burchell
Thanks Philip. We like to try and get video clips of birds calling when we go out birding so it was a real pleasure to be able to get this one from our back doorstep.

Ô¿Ô