Borakalalo today

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10292 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Borakalalo today
Went to Borakalalo on the spur of the moment this morning. There was hardly a soul there and despit the dam overflowing and the water levels so high that there is absolutely nowhere for waders along the edge of the dam I managed a morning list of 97, adding 9 to my Borakalalo list and taking it to exactly 200 - I have updated the list in the Venue Species List forum.

There were some interesting sightings of juveniles - Grey-hooded Kingfisher, Groundscraper Thrush and Sabota Lark - none of which I have ever seen before. I encountered two groups of 8-10 Southern White-crowned Shrike, and like in the Kruger two weekends ago there seems to be a lot of Lesser Grey Shrike around this year. As usual, every time I found Crimson-breasted Shrike they were in a bird party, along with Longbilled Crombec, Southern Black Tit and Ashy Tit among others - but no Pied Babblers which usually join in. Cuckoos were quite prominent, with Diederik, Red-chested and Jacobin all seen as well as heard, and my first North-West African Cuckoo.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10293 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo today
Hi Neil.

Sounds nice. Any sign of Striped and BuSHVELD Pipits? Those are two I have been itching to point my lens at..... As well as some raptors???

Cheers,
Doug

• Rusty Justy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10296 by Rusty Justy
Rusty Justy replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo today
I saw 4 Bushveld pipit along the main enterance road to Mkhombo Dam NR yesterday....Might be a place to have a look! :D

• brucews
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10368 by brucews
brucews replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo today
Hi Neil, I have been lookinhg for grey-headed kingfisher at Borakalalo for a long time. Please can you tell me where you saw the bird.

Bruce

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10369 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo today
I am not sure where Neil saw it this time but when I always find it in the woodland below the Moretele camp site moving around along the game drive road closest to the river. Just familiarise yourself with the call. I do not see it often so I am sure it is like looking for a needle in a haystack some times.

Cheers,
Doug

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10377 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo today
Bruce,

If I remember correctly I saw the Grey-headed Kingfisher on the road that meanders north-west along the boundary fence from Sefudi Dam back towards the T-junction on the tar road near the Entrance Gate. I'll check this evening and give you the GPS co-ordinates for the sighting.

Neil