eagle encounters plett

• arty
  • arty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #41006 by arty
arty created the topic: eagle encounters plett
i am not one who likes birds in capitivity but my mate owms eagle encounters in plett and i stopped to see what he doe's there.With no funds from anyone only what he recieves from entrance he is doing some really good work.This last year he managed to rehab 6 birds and release them into the wild.I took these pics there which i would not have been able to capture in the wild.all the birds here have been confiscated by wild life and given to him to try and rehab.the black eagle had a broken wing and was about 4 weeks from release.
peregrine falcon

lanner falcon

jackal buzzard

black eagle

barn owl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Shedman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #41064 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: eagle encounters plett
I'm not in favour of captive birds either, but a situation like this where they're being rehabilitated and released back into the wild is fine in my book. We once stayed at a guest farm in the Magaliesberg called The Feathered Nest and the owner had some birds in cages which she also was rehabilitating, or looking after ones that were too injured to go back into the wild. The ones that could be re-released were released and the others just kept comfortable for as long as they lived. She had a Barn Owl that had lost an eye and a Black Headed Heron with only one wing, which could obviously not be released back into the wild, but at least the owl was in a large aviary and the heron had a nice big enclosure and she would bring it buckets of frogs and things to eat every day. In those circumstances, captive birds don't bother me.

Some great photos there, Warren. The one of the Black Eagle is stunning, nice to get such a great close-up which you would probably never get in the wild. The Barn Owl too is quite impressive.

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.