Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west

• Johan van Rensburg
  • Johan van Rensburg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9452 by Johan van Rensburg
Johan van Rensburg created the topic: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
I had a quick visit to Borakalalo nature reserve on Sunday... never been there before. I was pleasantly surprised by this tidy little reserve that surrounds the Klipvoor Dam. Facilities are excellent with a decent network of gravel roads giving access to a range of habitats, from vleilands to bushveld, riverine bush to open water.

In five hours of birding we listed 71 species. Pride of place goes to a grey-headed kingfisher seen on the Serolo loop, returning along the Morotele river.

The juvenile black-crowned night-heron came out surprisingly well considering the dark spot in which it was seen.

Osprey-sightings are always welcome...

Natal and Swainson's spurfowl and crested francolin are common AND tame!

And for a change we got to see the cuckoos instead of just hearing them. Four species - Diderick, red-chested, Leveillant's and African were seen, with this one (African) being the least sneaky

There are two birdhides quite close to each other, giving different angles of view at the same vleiland. The water level was quite low so that we saw few birds here. A threesome of breeding green-backed herons kept us amused for some time with the males doing laps around the vleiland, chasing each other. I got this shot during an odd rest period.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9453 by JGB
JGB replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Wow, some lovely photos, I really need to get to Borakalo.

• Rusty Justy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9454 by Rusty Justy
Rusty Justy replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Great photos, and species............Must try visit there some time! (Unfortunately not anytime soon, as im going to be working in the Northern KZN) :D

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9455 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Johan,

Great photos, especially the Osprey. Always a good spot.

This is my favourite birding destination within 2 hours drive of Boksburg. I try to get there at least once every summer. It really is a gem. My best spot there was Dwarf Bittern at the hide where I think you photographed the Green-backed Heron, and I also saw a Lesser Black-backed Gull there in 1999, before I really took my birding seriously, was not aware that it was a rarity nor that it should have been reported.

Neil

• Rudolph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9456 by Rudolph
Rudolph replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Excellent photos

I am busy making plans to go there early December.

You just convinced me it is the that I am on the right track.

Cheers

• Peregrinedive
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9462 by Peregrinedive
Peregrinedive replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Great to see the Osprey's are still around at Borokalalo. Great pics you have there Johan!

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9468 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Absolutely awesome. I need to get back there...

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #9476 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west
Johan some nice shots and i am very envious of the grey headed kingfisher.

I just read in the Wegsleep of campers being robbed in the camp. According to the article it is a ongoing thing and the camp manager there say that there is not much they can do about it.

Not a good advertishment for Borakalalo.

Anybody else had similar experiences ?

• Johan van Rensburg
  • Johan van Rensburg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 days ago #9522 by Johan van Rensburg
Johan van Rensburg replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west

Birdlover wrote: Johan some nice shots and i am very envious of the grey headed kingfisher.

I just read in the Wegsleep of campers being robbed in the camp. According to the article it is a ongoing thing and the camp manager there say that there is not much they can do about it.

Not a good advertishment for Borakalalo.

Anybody else had similar experiences ?

I spoke to a couple of birding friends who know the place, none of which have stayed over at Bora, unfortunately. They have no experience such as you refer to and know of no-one that has gone through such an incident. The word is that this place is no worse than any other resort in respect of theft or your safety. In modern South Africa you must be vigilant and self-sufficient to ensure the safety of your property and your own well-being.

I won't say it is so for every one, but I personally feel stax safer anywhere out in the bush than when spending a day in The Big Smoke! I do that without fail at least 40 to 60 days a year for the last 35 years in a huge variety of South African venues. In all that time I have lost ONE bag of groceries and a 15 Hp outboard motor to a thief, both times because our security arrangements were slack.

I think it is a normal reaction to blame everything but one self when you suffer a loss. Most of those losses could be prevented by better security arrangements, it has been my experience.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 days ago #9525 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Borakalalo NR - jewel in the north-west

In modern South Africa you must be vigilant and self-sufficient to ensure the safety of your property and your own well-being.

That is the sad truth... so, armed with this knowledge, bird wisely... if you are camping, don't leave anything lying around that you don't want growing legs... and if you are approached by someone in a lonely place rather move off BEFORE they get to you. I always stay close to my vehicle and if someone appears to deviate from their path then I climb in the car and drive away.