Barberspan and Lichtenburg Nature Reserve

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #8351 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Barberspan and Lichtenburg Nature Reserve
Eric Ehlers and I set off early this morning in the hope of some good birding at Barberspan near Sannieshof. We got there just after 06h00 and found the fishing area closed and headed on too the birding side.

Entering the reserve we came to the main administration building and found it locked and no one home. Excited to get started with our birding, we set off. We soon found that although there seemed to be a lot of birds present, there was not much there other than a few common species.

Egyptian Goose were amazingly plentiful but strangely they have become so skittish that as soon as you get within 500m of the birds they all fly off. In some cases driving along boundary roads outside the reserve is enough to set the birds off.

Not to be disheartened we searched for waders, the main purpose of our visit. After 2 hours we found a wader. Two Kitlitz's Plovers to be precise.

Searching on we found 2 Ruff and 2 Little Stint. Not much else to be found at Barberspan excpet a group of Lesser Flamingo although Barberspan did provide a few good photo opportunities but I did get a lifer here in Namaqua Sandgrouse.

Giving up at Barberspan, we headed off to Lichtenburg Nature Reserve. As soon as we left the birding picked up with a few good photo oportunities including Female Rock Kestrel and although we could not get a photo, a early arrival in Male Pallid Harrier was awesome to see.

Overall Lichtenburg was awesome and we got a few nice birds there including South African Shellduck and Shikra as well as many LBJs.

Finally heading towards Witpan I picked up another lifer in Grey-backed Sparrow-lark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Margaret
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #8353 by Margaret
Margaret replied the topic: Barberspan and Lichtenburg
Hi Doug
Please tell me which Francolin is in one of your photos? I couldnt id some of the other birds, can you tell me what they were, especially the LBJ's? I think you had some Whitebrowed Sparrow Weavers? These are all birds we wouldnt know in Cape Town, so I cant id them!
Regards
Margaret

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #8354 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Hi there.

Sorry about that. The Francolin is Orange River, the Lark is Spike-heeled and the Pipit I have not yet looked at thouroughly but I suspect it it Long-billed.

• Margaret
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #8355 by Margaret
Margaret replied the topic: Barberspan and Lichtenburg
Thanks, Doug. I thought it might be Orange River Francolin, because that would be a lifer for me! I have never managed to find them on any trip up north of CT, now I know I can try Barberspan if I ever ge there, but where are any other good places near Jhb, if any?
Margaret

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #8356 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Rietpan is by far the most relible.

Just do a forum search. If you don't find directions let me know.

Cheers.
Doug

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #8362 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Margaret,

Another good place for them is Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve.

Cheers,
Gordon