Loskop Dam

• Johan van Rensburg
  • Johan van Rensburg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #7220 by Johan van Rensburg
Johan van Rensburg created the topic: Loskop Dam
I spent two days at Loskop Dam this week on a work-related trip. Amazingly in researching the birding possibilities at Loskop, I found that apart from a cursory mention as a birding venue, not much is published about this area.

I could only manage about 4 hours birding but managed to record 65 birds during the "stolen" moments, including three separate sightings of osprey, (it may have been the same bird), frequent sightings of golden-breasted and cinnamon-breatsed buntings and a special moment observing a female cuckooshrike feeding her youngster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #7223 by JGB
JGB replied the topic:
Johan,

I think there are a number of these "undiscovered gems" in South Africa. I travel in South Africa quiite extensively on business and often stay in a place that birding whise is never mentioned, but the place is actually teaming with birds!

The joys of discovering our beautiful country!!!!!

Cheers,
Justin

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #7301 by mossie
mossie replied the topic:
I still haven't got osprey yet!!

What I did get in the Loskop area, in the cliffs/riverine forest on the south side of the dam, was crowned eagle. I thought it might be totally out of range, but on reviewing the maps, it is probably right at the edge of its range, but still a pleasant surprise.

Mossie