Marievale Problem?

• ianweatherburn
  • ianweatherburn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6988 by ianweatherburn
ianweatherburn created the topic: Marievale Problem?
Hi guys. Thought I would bring to your attention this thread on the Outdoorphoto web site pertaining to a perceived problem at Marievale.
Makes for interesting reading.
This link takes you directly to the pertinent point in that thread but feel free to read the rest...

[url=http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/showpost.php?p=90427&postcount=19:1yecgc4b]Marievale Problem[/url:1yecgc4b]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6989 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Ian,

Wonder how many of the posters in that thread are East Rand residents, as none mentioned that a pungent sulphurous smell in the air is not that uncommon out here. It is apparently related to a specific wind direction and high level dispersion of smoke/fumes from the Vaal Triangle area, Iskor/Sasol, etc. (or maybe thats just urban legend - the smell isn't!).

So it may not be pollution or rotting vegetation at Marievale as mentioned in the thread, just was one of those days when that sulphur smell is in the air.

Interesting thread though.

Neil

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6992 by Johann
Johann replied the topic:
I don't know too much about rotting vegetation causing the smell. Can't say that I've noticed any rotting around there.

I have seen this article though about a [url=http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20080126092251791C844680:3h76j05z]massive raw sewage spill[/url:3h76j05z]into the Blesbokspruit just upstream from Marievale. More than likely the cause of the problem.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #7003 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Also the dust off the mine dumps can have a pretty nasty smell to it.