Atlasing at Cape Receife and Swafrtkops Estuary.

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6850 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Atlasing at Cape Receife and Swafrtkops Estuary.
HI all.

While down in the Eastern Cape this weekend I decided to make use of my spare time to do some atlasing.

Firstly after a meeting on Saturday I Went in to Cape Receife to atlas there.

The tern roost was good as usual and had Swift, Sandwhich, Common and Caspian Terns. As I looked closer I noticed the rocks at the roost had literally thousands of waders moving in between. As I worked through the groups I got Ruff, Curlew Sandpiper, Common Greenshank, Little Stint, Sanderling and a lifer for me... a sinlge Red Knot.

Other birds of not around the reserve included the usual African Black Oystercatcher.

On the sunday I left PE early enough to stop of at Swartkops River estuary on the way to East London. WOW!!! What a wader hot spot. I took me ages to work through the large flocks of waders to be happy that I picked up all of the birds I could get there. Amongst the waders were Bar-tailed Godwit, both Common Whimbrel and Eurasian Curlew, Greater Sand Plover and thousands upon thousands of Little Stint and Sanderling amongst many other things but by far the most numerous wader there was Curlew Sandpiper. There were also a few Terek Sandpiper.

All in all an awesome two atlasing outings........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.