Birding in the Free State

• Arnold
  • Arnold's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6720 by Arnold
Arnold created the topic: Birding in the Free State
Hi all
I see a poll about birding in the Free State...

Don't discard the Free State, I've done some wonderful birding in the Free State. BLFS had an outing in our region - Smithfield - and we counted 130 species over 1 weekend.

While atlasing the Smithfield district last Friday, we counted 72 species in a 2 hour stint ... including 5 Black-crowned Night-Heron, Greater Flamingo, waders, pipits (including Kimberley), cistic's by dozens, etc

Go Birding in the Free State - you'll be surprised.

Contact me for more info

Rgds
A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6724 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
I am also building up a good idea of what is where in and around the Paul Roux/Clarens area. If anyone is specifically looking for info on the eatsern free state, contact me.

Cheers,
Doug

• Robyn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6728 by Robyn
Robyn replied the topic:
Hi Arnold
Thanks for encouraging birders to do birding in the Free State. It really does have some great things to see and it seems to be quite ignored by most. I have only been living here for 6 months and have had great fun atlasing the area of Welkom which not many people seem to be doing. If anyone can give me some other particularly good places close to and around Welkom, I would appreciate it. I went to the flamingo pan this morning and found there are still about 1000 lesser flamingo's there (mostly sub adults I think) although the 100 000 of November have left and what a sight that was!! The pair of chestnut banded plovers that we have been watching are still there and successfully raised 4 chics this season. We have been watching them since they laid the eggs.
If anyone would like to know more about Welkom's birding, please let me know.
Thanks and regards
Robyn Kadis

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6739 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Robyn,

A good road along which to bird in the greater Welkom area is the R713 that links the R30 (from about halfway between Allanridge and Bothaville) with the R34 Kroonstad-Welkon road (at about 11km south of Kroonstad).

I have travelled this road and just about every secondary gravel road in the Kroonstad, Welkom, Allanridge triangle very extensively over the years, and have lists of 102, 118 and 136 for three of the QD sheets along the R713, all done by birding from my vehicle without leaving the roads.

It is a good spot for Blue Korhaan and I have encountered Pink-billed Lark along that road as well.

Neil Gray

• Arnold
  • Arnold's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6745 by Arnold
Arnold replied the topic:
Robyn
Another nice area is the Willem Pretorius Game Reserve around the Allemanskraal Dam - I think it is not too far from Welkom.

I did atlasing there in early December and my lists tally 79, 65 and 48 in 3 of the 4 possible pentads.

Rgds
A

• Robyn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6753 by Robyn
Robyn replied the topic: Birding in Free State
Hi Neil
Thanks I will definitely explore those roads more fully. I do a CAR count on one of them and have seen the blue korhaan there but it took me so long to do the count (coz I stop and look at all the other little one's as well) that I didn't get time to look at any other roads but certainly will.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6756 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Also check out the sand road the goes from just near paul Roux down to Rosendal. Some good birding along that road and twice we have seen aardvark. Also take the road from inside Paul Roux itself out to Kaalaagte that end up back in Bethlehem. Very quiet, very scenic and we got Kimberley Pipit along that road. Unfortunately they were both roadkill but we also saw Honey Badger and Striped Polecat.