Marievale - interesting addition to my bird list

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6627 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Marievale - interesting addition to my bird list
I reported after my visit to Marievale on Saturday that I had seen 2 Common Ringed Plover, my first record in over 8 years of birding at Marievale.

I checked the SABAP1 summary for the 2628BC QDS in which Marievale falls and discovered that only 2 cards out of 334 submitted included Common Ringed Plover, so it is not unreasonable to have taken 8 years to see one.

However, when I saw a Namaqua Dove at Hadeda Hide this morning I did not realise unless I had finished adding today's sightings to my database a short while ago that this is also a new species for me at Marievale (no. 140 on my list). I was amazed that I have never seen such a "common" species before at Marievale. SABAP1 records show that it was only recorded in the QDS on 47 / 334 cards (approx 1 in 7), so it is not as "common" as I thought. Even more interesting is that not a single card out of 81 (1 in 4 of all cards submitted for the QDS) submitted in December, January or February recorded Namaqua Dove. So while it is probably odd that it has taken 8 years to chalk up one at Marievale, that I should do so in January is a statistical aberration!

As I am fond of saying, take nothing for granted!

Neil Gray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hanno Pretorius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6652 by Hanno Pretorius
Hanno Pretorius replied the topic: Agree
I find this interesting Neil.

I am always surprised at some of my lists. Some of the most common species are well and truly "missing" despite being well within its distribution at certain venues.

Within those large "pink" distribution maps in the bird guides for (especially) common species, there are definitely large "gaps" that can never truly be reflected. The significance of sighting any bird should never really be underestimated.

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #6757 by Johann
Johann replied the topic:
I'll have to go and check my notes for an exact date but saw my first Namaqua Dove at Marievale and Gauteng for that matter, in November or December last year. First sighting in the two years I've been going to Marievale.
Saw it next to the last mine dump just before reaching the Shelduck hide.