HAPPY REST NATURE RESERVE, LOUIS TRICHARDT.

• waldens@faerieglen
  • waldens@faerieglen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 weeks ago #6203 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen created the topic: HAPPY REST NATURE RESERVE, LOUIS TRICHARDT.
I visited the Happy Rest Nature Reserve and the Schoemansdal Veldschool between 23 and 29 October. The following birds were seen and heard:
Spectacled Weaver, Southern Masked Weaver, Collared Sunbird, African Black Sunbird, Whitebellied Sunbird, Greater Doublecollared Sunbird, Glossy Starling, Whitebellied (Plumcoloured) Starling, Olive Thrush, Kurrichane Thrush, Heuglin’s Robin, Cape Robin (don’t know the new names), Whitebrowed Robin, Cape White eye, Paradise Flycatcher, Bluemanteled Flycatcher (nesting), Sombre Bulbull, Black eyed Bulbull, Southern Black Tit, Gorgeous Bush Shrike (heard but not seen), Purple Crested Turaco (heard), Grey Lourie, Forktailed Drongo, Several Swallow species, Longbilled Crombec, Greybacked Bleating Warbler, 2 Wahlberg’s Eagles, Verraux’s Eagles, Blackshouldered Kite, Several Large Brown Jobs, sitting on telephone poles next to the road, Fiscal Shrike, Cardinal Woodpecker, Goldentailed Woodpecker, Bearded Woodpecker (heard drumming), Chinspot Batis, Cape Wagtail, Grassveld Pipit, Yellow Billed Ducks, Spurwing, Egyptian Goose, Common Sandpiper, Three Banded Plover, Kittlitz’s Plover, Common Moorhen (the waterbirds were seen at the nearby Spies Dam) Blue Waxbills, Violet Eared Waxbills, Jameson’s Firefinches, all foraging for seed in the stables on the property. Golden breasted Bunting, Yellow Eyed Canaries, Bronze Mannikin, Brownheaded Kingfisher, Neddicky, and a few more that I can’t think of now. There is accommodation in the form of a School Hostel, the rates are very reasonable, and a resident expert who will give information on sites to find some rare birds. (As I was there for a funeral, I didn’t actively look for birds, these were just seen on the terrain while sitting outside under the trees. It is a truly beautiful and unspoilt place, and I can highly recommend a visit)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.