DRC latest

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #6073 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: DRC latest
Just back from two weeks in the DRC, where I managed a little more birding than my previous trips mainly because I walked close to 50km in Miombo woodlands during my field work and the birds "came to me". I spent one night some 200km from Lubumbashi camped on the bank of the Luapula River looking across into Zambia. This spot was only 105km from Lake Bangweulu - perhaps the closest I'll ever get to a Shoebill!

This was the most rewarding area as I added Cabanis's Greenbul, Yellow-bellied Hyliota, African Golden Oriole, Pennant-winged Nightjar, Rufous-Cheeked Nightjar and African Wood-Owl to my Africa list (last five still not yet seen in Southern Africa). The Pennant-winged Nightjar put on a spectacular weaving flight as it was disturbed from its day-time roost as we walked beneath it. Not long afterwards we also disturbed two Square-tailed (Mozambican) Nightjars.

On the shore of Lake Nzilo near Kolwezi I heard four different cuckoos all calling at the same time - Diederik, Jacobin, Red-chested and Black Cuckoos, and in the same area added another new species to the Africa list, the Sooty Chat.

Other noteworthy records were several White-browed Coucal, Magpie Mannikin, Miombo Pied Barbet and African Yellow White-Eye.

Work inevitably interfered and I had to let slip unidentified several undoubted non-Southern African species! Yet again, I did not have my long lens to capture some of these new species.

Neil Gray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #6076 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
I hope to post a few pics in the next week or so. We are all attending a week long conference in Kenya and there will be a short bird walk around the lodge every morning before conference starts so watch this space. I will have my camera with me......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.