Eastern Highlands Zimbabwe

• Margaret
  • Margaret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5899 by Margaret
Margaret created the topic: Eastern Highlands Zimbabwe
I have just got back from a 10 day trip to Marondera, Aberfoyle and Seldomseen in the Eastern Highlands of Zim. Although somewhat apprehensive about visiting Zim, we had no problems at all, and felt perfectly safe, thanks to our leader and guide, Grahame Snow.

The Honde Valley and Vumba area are stunning and I far surpassed my target for lifers, getting 49 (just couldnt crack the 50th!)

The lodges and hotels are empty, and the people desperate for visitors and birders, if the lodges close, they lose their jobs. Unfortunately, almost the only way to get there is by car taking your own petrol as none can be bought anywhere. You also have to take most if your own food, but the lodges can provide good meals as well.

The famous Peter at Seldomseen is talking retirement and is training Bulawesi who is young, sharp eyed and really really good at finding birds already. Morgan is the new guide at Aberfoyle and knows exactly where to take you to find the bird you want to see.

All the local Zim guides we used were great and we would never have found half the birds we did, if it wasnt for them.

I have typed up a brief trip report, with places and birds seen and accommodation details, if anyone is interested in doing a similar trip, they can email me and I will send them a copy of the report.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5901 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Sounds like you had a marvellous trip!

The Eastern Highlands section is a part I would love to go and explore at some stage.... oh for more time!

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5906 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
If you want we can post the full trip report for you?
Sound like an awesome trip.

• Margaret
  • Margaret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #6006 by Margaret
Margaret replied the topic:
Doug, sorry for the late reply to your offer to post my trip report, been away for a few days. My trip report is two pages and on a Word document, how do I post it to the website?