Firefinches?

• Jacques P
  • Jacques P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30155 by Jacques P
Jacques P created the topic: Firefinches?
Hi,

I would like to find some firefinches :) in/around or further off Jhb, do any of you know where a reliable spot is for them?

Kind regards,
Jacques

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30195 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
I have seen them along the Zaagkuilsdrift Road and seem to remember seeing them at WSBG a few years back?

The picnic grounds at Suikerbosrand are also good spots to see them.

Cheers,
Gordon

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30204 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
And Barokalalo NP is very good.

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30209 by wildtuinman
wildtuinman replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
I have birded Zaagkuildrift twice this last 4 weeks and also managed a nice visit to Borakalalo.

Zaagkuildrift produced a multitude of Firefinches and Waxbills. With Jameson's Firefinch being the most common. Black-faced Waxbills were present in unusually large numbers too and we also located Orange-breasted Waxbill. I haven't had much luck here during these visits with Red-billed Firefinch, but did see a few.

Borakalalo was very good for both Red-billed and Jameson's Firefinch especially along the burnt areas. Violet-eared Waxbill was also prominent.

I personally have never seen so many Blue Waxbills as I have these last 2 months or so.

In the last 2 months I also located Jameson's Firefinch at the Smuts house in Irene and Rietfontein Nature Reserve, next to Freeme in Paulshof.

• Jacques P
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30240 by Jacques P
Jacques P replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
Thank you for replying and giving me some useful info on where to find some. I know Barokalalo is a wonderful place, I have been there once. I still haven't been to Zaagkuildrift and hope to visit soon. I have a copy of the Birding Gauteng and it says that Tswaing is also a good place for Firefinches. I heard that next to one of the trials (I think it is the Crater Trial) there is a water trough or something which attracts all the seed-eaters including Jameson's and Red-billed Firefinches. Have any of you seen Firefinches at Tswaing, and how about Roodeplaat dam? I will also definitely be going to Rietfontein as it is in Jhb and next time I visit Suikerbosrand, I will spend more time at the Holhoek picnic site.

Thanks in advance,
Jacques.

• Duncan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30262 by Duncan
Duncan replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
I found a pair of Red-billed firefinches at Northern Farm when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Which I considered a little odd given the habitat and given that I havent seen any in 40 previous visits.

Regards Duncan

• waldens@faerieglen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30312 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
SABAP2 reports 14 sightings of Jameson's Firefinches and 3 sightings of African Firefinches at Roodeplaat Nature reserve. I atlassed there yesterday (Friday), and didn't manage to find any Firefinches, there are large freshly burnt areas in the reserve. We didn't do the northern part of the reserve.
(Lots of Coqui francolin, and a Blackcrowned Night Heron at the hide on the southern side of the dam)

• Jacques P
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #30338 by Jacques P
Jacques P replied the topic: Re: Firefinches?
Hello,

Tomorrow(Sunday) my father, brother and I will be heading out to Tswaing. This will be a new site for me and I am very excited. The Birding Gauteng makes Tswaing sound very adventurous, because there are areas there that are quite unexplored. On Mark's one trip report of Tswaing and Zaagkuildrift, he spotted Jameson's Firefinch and even a Bronze-winged Courser.

Best regards,
Jacques.