Highlands Wilderness

• JGB
  • JGB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #5339 by JGB
JGB created the topic: Highlands Wilderness
We again spent the weekend at Highlands Wilderness, a sectional title game / nature farm in the Waterberg. I am lucky enough that my brother has a property there and we have use of the place.

I have now been there about twelve times have each time have been served up with a least one lifer! My bird list for the farm and adjacent properties is now 104 species (almost no water birds), not bad for an area in the region of 1300 hectare of which we have managed to explore only half of.

The access roads to some parts of the farm are suitable for only 4x4 vehicles and I have previously been stuck on one gravel patch with the wheels spinning. We are planning on spending two weeks at the end of the year on the farm and will be exploring the unexplored areas on foot.

Some of the more interesting sightings have been a pair of Secretary birds, a lone Martial Eagle, a black form of a Gabar Goshawk.

New species added in the last two visits are Orange-Breasted Bush Shrike, Yellow Throated Petronia (very common now), Red-Headed Weaver and Black-Throated Canary.

Cheers,
Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.