Intaka Wetlands

• Birdlover
  • Birdlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #5093 by Birdlover
Birdlover created the topic: Intaka Wetlands
    Hi All

Visited Intaka Island Wetlands on Wednesday. This small newly rehabilitated wetland is adjacent to one of Cape Town’s largest shopping malls Canal Walk. At the moment this little oasis is in the middle of the Century city development with building activities all around it.

The good news is that even with all the building activities the African spoonbills, Grey Herons, White breasted Cormorants are all breeding. I also saw Red Bishops in full breeding colors building nest.

My compliments to the Century City management for the major upgrade ( cutting back reeds for better viewing.. providing benches and lookouts .. the two bird hides provided are also well situated to see the Greater Painted Snipe and African Snipe.)

Although the Little Bittern is resident in the Wetland you usually only get a glimpse of it flying or if you are lucky a quick view of it before it disappears into the reeds.

I am very happy to at last post a decent photo after trying forever to get a shot at it.

I can recommend a quick 2 hours walkabout in Intaka wetlands whenever you have the opportunity.

Cheers
    Philip
    [/list:u]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #5096 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Philip,

Well done on these pictures! I think these are your best yet. I really like the composition and the colour!

It is great to see a bird sanctuary being cared for like this one.

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.