Marievale

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4710 by gordon
gordon created the topic: Marievale
Popped in to Marievale this morning to try out the camera. I was amazed to see that most of the northern end has been extensively burnt. In fact the fire must have been so hot that it has almost completely destroyed the reed beds in this section of the reserve. I would imagine that this will bode well for returning waders in a couple of months time as I doubt the reeds will recover enough to choke the system again before then.

Having arrived rather late, all these shots were taken in horrible "glary" light conditions, so I am not too displeased with the results.

The Martin shots were an absolute nightmare to get as they are so quick!

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4712 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic:
Hi Gordon

Your shots came out well in the "horrible "glary" light conditions" I found that under cloudy conditions i might aswell not take photo unless i use manual mode. Even then my photos come out crappy. If you took your photos early in the morning you will realy see the quality of the Pentax photos.

Is there any chance that you could make your photos about 140 kb. My phone connections take ages to download the pictures.

Cheers

Philip

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4713 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Philip,

Sorry about the sizes, I can no longer use my favoured Corel Photo-paint 9 to crop and adjust sizes, so I am still trying to find a decent alternative package that can handle Adobe DNG RAW files. Until then I am not sure how to adjust the images with the software that I have.

You also have the K10D... what software do you use to get your images across to JPEG and to resize/process?

Cheers,
Gordon

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4714 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic:
Gordon

I use Adobe Photoshop CS2 with a plugin (camera Raw plug-in v3.6) to do my raw conversions. I also use the software provided with the camera "Pentax Photo Laboratory"

I find what works for me, is to convert the complete photo to Jpeg as a quality file. I then do the cropping afterwards to get a smaller file for the web. That way i also have a good jpeg copy for my own records.

Cheers

Philip

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4717 by gordon
Thanks Philip,

I have found I can use the Pentax software to convert to 16bit TIFF with no loss of detail, then use my original Corel Photopaint to crop and if necessary clean the images. Apparently the new photopaint is supposed to be able to handle PEF (Pentax) format images as well as DNG (Adobe).

Cheers,
Gordon

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4736 by mossie
mossie replied the topic:
I'm not sure if it will work on RAW format files, but to convert large .jpg's down for screen viewing, I use a program called Powertoys for windows XP. Its a free program, that pops up when you right click, and converts very quickly, using screen colours only, so the images remain screen size, but are are very compact, and good for on screen viewing and making web pages etc.

Great for posting pics online, and sending as E-mail attachments.

Mossie

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4737 by gordon
Hi Mossie,

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded that application from Microsoft. Only problem is that it only handles the Canon and Nikon Raw images. I think the main reason is that it is not actually written by Microsoft but is a third party piece of software that obviously has an agreement with Microsoft to use their name.

My issue is more to do with trying to compress very large files down to an acceptable size for download. I can now convert from RAW to TIFF and then to JPEG fine, it is just an issue of losing quality on the final JPEG... When the original files are smaller then they convert fine. It is when the original files is over a certain size then I get issues of quality loss.

Cheers,
Gordon