Benvie - What an experience

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #4254 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Benvie - What an experience
Hi All.

I had the pleasure of visiting Benvie with Peter Sullivan, Jenny Norman and a few others. Benvie is a private farm in the howick area. There is a 30 hectare garden planted by the grat grandfather of the family 140 years ago and it is the most awesome forest you have ever seen. Trees that are 30meter and taller and labeled with species etc.

I got close range sightings and awesome recordings of Orange Ground Thrush. In addition we never saw but I am told the farm regularly has breeding Scaly-throated Honeyguide, Cape Parrot, Narina Trogon and Knysan Lurie. Other species we saw or hear or that were mentioned included:
Yellow-throated Woodland Warbler
Chorister Robin-chat
Olive Thrush
Blue-grey Flycatcher
Barrat's Warbler
Collared Sunbird
Mountain Wagtail

I have ourposely decided not to write a venue write up or provide public domain contact details. The farmer is very friendly towards birders and will even walk you around and show you nests of various species BUT!!!!
I heard this weekend at the KZN forum meeting that some birders have acted extremely irrrsponsibly on private land with regards blue swallows and now that particular farmer will not allow birders onto his land anymore. Contact me privately and I will give you details but if you pass the details on to someone who blatantly disrespects private property or you visit the place without prior concent I will personally ring your neck!
The birding starts infront of their private residence so just driving knowing he is happy to have birders there will simply not cut it. We don''t want to loose this jewel to the birding community due to the irresponsible behaviour of a few lunatics.

Follow the rules and he is the most accomodating and friendly person you would ever meet and even treated us to a beer on his ""stoep"" by moonlight before we left.

Cheers.
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.