Marievale recording session

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #3420 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Marievale recording session
HI all.

Gordon and I went to Marievale to do some bird call recording this morning. We arrived and were greeted by a good collection of lesser Swamp Warbler sounds. There was a nice mixed flock of both Whiskered and White-winged Terns that put up a good sound spectacle. A group of Little Grebe aggressively chasing each other provided for a good sound clip. Little Bittern were also putting on a sound show but not close enough to get a good level above the noise of the mine machinery. recordings of Great Crested Grebe made the day.

Further along Cape Wagtails put on a audio feast. We then headed into the main reserve. Not much happened in terms of sound until we headed to the far hide. As we walked down the entrance path way, we saw White-throated Swallow on the wall up ahead. As we got closer they got a little weary and started to sing. Walking very slowly I was able to get a sound clip recorded at a mere 1 meter distance. Turning the levels right down so as not to overdrive the recorder the results were spectacular.

We then headed on to the new section of the reserve where the chalets are but the wind had picked up by then and not recording was possible.

We headed on to Rietpan and things are very green. The cow paddock where the mystery pipit was last winter is green and longish and there are birds in it but they kept dropping out of view. All of a sudden the temperature dropped and a big storm moved in. It was the first time I have ever witnessed large numbers of swallows go to ground in a bare sandy farm field to await the arrival of the storm.

All in all a very enjoyable morning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.