Barokalalo as good as ever!

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #3391 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Barokalalo as good as ever!
Hi all.

I went to Barokalalo National park today (22nd of December 2006). I arrived there at 05h00 to find a que of fisherman waiting to get in. I thought this would spoil the day but oh was I to be surprised.

As soon as I entered the reserve, I encountered a very young White-throated Scrub-Robin demonstrating the principle that the songbird group juveniles need to learn their songs and do not get it right for some time. This was certainly a strange call for a Scrub-robin. The recording continued in the same vain and I set off for the lower side of the reserve below the wall.

This area is as good as ever and I picked up a few specials including Lesser Spotted Eage, a perfect photo opportunity with a Yellow-billed Kite and the highlight of the day was a Grey-hooded Kingfisher nearinng the end of the loop below the wall.

I ventured up to the dam and the water levels are low but the exposed soil is sand and not mud so wader numbers are low.

I was futher treated to Brown-crowned Tchagra doing its tumbling display above my head a s I pointed my microphone at it.

The end of the day produced patient but amazing sitting with the microphone on a stand waiting for Red-crested Korhaan to start singing. This patient sitting resulted in excellent recordings of both Red-crested Korhaan and Golden-breasted Bunting.

Get to Barokakalo soon. It is well worth it. Helen Biram even reported a Eurasian Golden Oriole from the camp site.

for some stunning photos visit
http://www.simplybirding.co.za/forum/vi ... =3392#3392

Cheers.
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.