La Mercy Airfield and Mt Morland

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 3 weeks ago #3151 by gordon
gordon created the topic: La Mercy Airfield and Mt Morland
Got the opportunity to go birding at La Mercy and Mt Morland this passed weekend (may as well before they start pouring the concrete!)

I first started off at La Mercy at around 10am. Since it was pouring with rain, I decided not to take my camera along so no pictures from this location. My highlight of the day was a new lifer in the form of Blackrumped Buttonquail along the main runway. There were at least 3 birds, two of which flew off while the other tried to hide by sitting very still for at least 10 minutes, affording prolonged views. (yes I did wish I had taken the camera as the bird was less than 15m away!)

There were plenty of other birds around including Flappet and Rufousnapped Larks, Southern Boubou, Yellowbilled Kites, Kurrichane Buttonquail (also had good views of these) and lots of Robins and Widows to name but a few of the species.

I was definitely worth getting soaked to the bone even with my raincoat...

If you are planning on visiting this spot, you should go soon, as the locals have been told they have to vacate by January.

After finishing up my 14km walk around the property and refreshing with a welcome filter coffee bought from the little tea room, I headed off for Mt Morland to wait for the swallows coming in to the roost. The Mt Morland residence have now realised what they have in their own backyard and have built some viewing platforms with a walkway down the hill almost to the reed bed.

After waiting around for the show to begin and listening to all the calls of Sedge Warblers, Flufftails and watching the aerial displays from the Yellowbilled Kites, I almost packed up and left having thought the swallows were going to be a no show.

All I can say is that you will not be dissapointed. When they say at least 3 million swallows, they are probably under estimating!

I tried to get some photo's in the failing light and could only manage this by using the video feature of my camera...

What is so incredible is that 3 million birds show up, fly about like locasts and settle into the reed bed within 15 - 20 minutes!!!

Again, you had all better go and see this spectacle while you still can as it seems the government is hell bent on destroying this site too.

Cheers
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.