European Bee-eater arrival dates?

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #2687 by gordon
gordon created the topic: European Bee-eater arrival dates?
I had two European Bee-eaters fly over my garden yesterday calling.

Is this a little early for them?

Cheers
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #2717 by Stefan
Stefan replied the topic:
Gordon,

It does seem to be very early for Gauteng. For the past 4 years I've seen the first arrivals in the second week of October for the Centurion area. Generally at the same time as the first Willow Warblers and Red-Chested Cuckoos.

• Rod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #2722 by Rod
Rod replied the topic:
Hi Gordon

Last year I recorded them from my garden in Ferndale, Randburg on October 1st. this is only my second spring in this house so not too many records to compare to but I will definitly be on the lookout and will post when I see them

cheers

Rod

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #2723 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Thanks guys!

I got Doug to have a look through his database and the earliest record that he had is September (he only kept months not days back then), and that record was back in 2000.

Interestingly in seven odd years of record keeping, that was the earliest.

Cheers
Gordon

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #2724 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Gordon,

Amazing coincidence. I was just about to post the following and thought I'd better catch up on the past 10 days postings first. I have also had European Bee-Eater sightings, Sunday as mentioned below and at 2 separate locations between Kuruman and Vryburg today.

[i:1s6y1ces]"The farm on which I am working has an area of +/- 25sq.km, and represents only 1/25th of the area of the full 2722BB QDS in which it lies. According to Roberts ver 3.1 Multimedia CD the total recorded for the QDS is 233 species so not all would occur in my current little piece. When I started the project here in late May I set myself the target of 100 before the summer migrants arrived. My total had reached 99 by last Sunday and I was quite hopeful that I would "sneak in under the wire" as there are reports of summer migrants coming in from all over the country. However, on my daily pre-sunset walk, a loose "flock" of 8-10 European Bee-Eaters flew over, into and buffetted by a very strong north-westerly, heading in the general direction of the Kgalagadi Park. Not that 100 isn't a landmark anyway, and with the onset of summer I should manage to reach 120 - over 50% of the species recorded here. Given that there is no permanent water the chances of many of the waders recorded for the sheet are slim, so my target is 120 by the mid-November (6 months working in the area).

For the record, my previous earliest arrival date for European Bee-Eaters in RSA is 25th September 2001 at Odendaalsrus, Free State. So this sighting is 8 days earlier and at the time I though 25/9 was rather early. Anyone seen them elsewhere yet?"[/i:1s6y1ces]

Final question answered!!!

Regards,

Neil Gray

Neil Gray

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #2732 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Neil,

So guess then that September is "early" some years and normal for others.

What is interesting is that I have only seen them on the one day and not since. I must assume that these first birds are simply passing through and that the "resident" birds only arrive later?

Cheers
Gordon