Love on the rocks at WSBG.

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21629 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman created the topic: Love on the rocks at WSBG.
Every now and then the birds remember the rules about bird photography. There's really only one rule and it's quite simple: when birders appear with cameras you must sit out in the open in bright sunlight, in nice natural surroundings and do interesting stuff. Most birds seem blissfully unaware of this rule, except the African Black Eagles at WSBG. The gardens were very quiet, both in terms of people and birds, so we sat for a rest at the waterfall when we saw one of the eagles arrive on the rocks to the left of the lower of their two nests. She (we subsequently discovered it was the female) sat in the sunlight preening for ages and was then joined by the male, and after a very brief courtship ritual consisting of bowing to each other he mounted her. He then flew off and she sat for a few moments before returning to the nest briefly, then flew off to join him. We subsequently learnt that they have two eggs in the nest but they continue to mate even after the eggs have been laid. Mariana observed the whole episode through her high power binoculars while I photographed it. It's at times like this I wish I had a better camera!

Where is that lover of mine?

Ah, here he comes now!

He bows to her...

...she bows to him...

...she turns around.

Let the games begin!

She returns to the nest to check on the eggs...

...while he flies off to find lunch.

Happy that the eggs are safe and sound, she sets off to join him for lunch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21630 by JGB
JGB replied the topic: Re: Love on the rocks at WSBG.
Great series of photos.

• Duncan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21657 by Duncan
Duncan replied the topic: Re: Love on the rocks at WSBG.
fantastic series. one of those WOW moments. Wish I had been there.

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21707 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Love on the rocks at WSBG.
Thanks guys. It really was just a case of right place, right time. There were hardly any people in the gardens so we were the only two there at the falls to witness this. Later on Mariana spoke to the lady at the gardens who monitors the nests with CCTV and she told us that they have two eggs in the nest and that they continue to mate even after laying the eggs. Let's hope this year's chick has more success than last year's. She told us the adults attacked it and chased it away and that it probably only had about a 15% chance of survival.

Justin, I got some fairly good butterfly pics which I'm going to try and identify using the PDF list I have of the species found in WSBG. I don't have time to resize and upload them before we set off for St. Lucia but don't be surprised if I call on your expertise when we get back!

Thanks again.

Ô¿Ô