A Week of Birding in the Lowveld - Day 5 and 6

• marktittley
  • marktittley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21535 by marktittley
marktittley created the topic: A Week of Birding in the Lowveld - Day 5 and 6
Day 5 was spent hiking at Mount Sheba, visiting waterfalls and taking in the views of the Bylde River Canyon - it was overcast all day (God's Window was totally misted over), so the prospects for getting decent shots was rather low to put it mildly. I did get pics of an Olive Bush-Shrike, Ashy Flycatcher, Cape Rock Thrush and Southern Double Collared Sunbird.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Day 6 was spent at the Nelspruit Nature Reserve where I got up close to a group of 8 Purple-crested Turaco's feeding in trees. A few of the pics came okay, in my humble opinion. Some highlights: Purple-crested Turaco, Sombre Greenbul, Golden and Spectacled Weaver.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

<!-- ia0 -->Weaver Spectacled.jpg<!-- ia0 -->

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21764 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: A Week of Birding in the Lowveld - Day 5 and 6
Mark,

Well done on the Olive Bush-Shrike. Not easy to see let alone photograph (I haven't got it on camera yet!). I'll be at Mount Sheba the last weekend in May, and hope to add it to my Mount Sheba list - which includes some that for me were lifers when I saw them there - Olive Woodpecker, White-breasted Cuckooshrike, Orange Ground Thrush, Cape Batis, White-starred Robin and Chorister Robin-Chat.

Neil

• marktittley
  • marktittley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21776 by marktittley
marktittley replied the topic: Re: A Week of Birding in the Lowveld - Day 5 and 6
Thanks for the compliment. I just went back to my pics to double check that I saw it there and it was. It was on the slope above the canyon - on the windy road down towards the entranceway of the resort. We were on the way out and some said that those fields were a good spot for birds, so I stopped briefly and just got lucky. I fired off 8 shots (and none were better than the one I posted) - my camera was stuck on a window mount and the Shrike was moving so quickly from branch to branch that it would have been better to have had it in my hands - and then it was gone! Good luck with your time at Mount Sheba. My wife and I and our three kids (4, 15 and 17) did the Waterfall Hike at Mount Sheba (not for the feint-hearted I might add) and I did not get a single pic of a bird (I heard many, but never saw one in the thick canopy) - it was fun family time but a hopeless birding experience.