A Week of Birding in the Lowveld - Day 1

• marktittley
  • marktittley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #21525 by marktittley
marktittley created the topic: A Week of Birding in the Lowveld - Day 1
This is my first time on a forum outside of asking for help with identification and it is rather intimidating given the level of photography that I have been seeing but it just feels like something I should take a shot at! Any comments, suggestions are appreciated.

We were asked to house sit for a retired couple in Sabie last week which opened up an incredible opportunity for our family who live in Johannesburg to explore the Lowveld and do some serious birding along the way. Here are the highlights: we saw 154 bird species (not bad for a week's work) and I managed to photograph 30 Lifers! I am new to birding and now am up to 288 birds in Southern Africa that I have photographed. Here, spread over a number of posts are some picture highlights of the birds photographed each day:

Day 1, our a travel day, was a slow drive from Joburg via Belfast, Dullstroom and Lydenburg on the way to Sabie. The highlights were Jackal Buzzard, Long-crested Eagle, Knysna Turaco, Hamerkop and African Pied Wagtail.
[attachment=5:1p4hdxjv]<!-- ia5 -->Buzzard Jackal.jpg<!-- ia5 -->[/attachment:1p4hdxjv]
[attachment=4:1p4hdxjv]<!-- ia4 -->Buzzard Steppe 2.jpg<!-- ia4 -->[/attachment:1p4hdxjv]
[attachment=3:1p4hdxjv]<!-- ia3 -->Eagle Long Crested 1.jpg<!-- ia3 -->[/attachment:1p4hdxjv]
[attachment=2:1p4hdxjv]<!-- ia2 -->Hamerkop.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment:1p4hdxjv]
[attachment=1:1p4hdxjv]<!-- ia1 -->Turaco Knysna 5.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:1p4hdxjv]
[attachment=0:1p4hdxjv]<!-- ia0 -->Wagtail African Pied Juvenile.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:1p4hdxjv]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.