Bethlehem

• JGB
  • JGB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #2363 by JGB
JGB created the topic: Bethlehem
I travelled to Bethlehem yesterday for business and was subjected to a birding ailment commonly know as “Non birding Passenger syndrome” My client not being a birder would not have thought it all that amusing had I stopped at every vlei (of which there are plenty along the road), telephone pole or bare tree!

Probably the best sightings that I had was a Northern Black Korhaan on the road verge within touching distance, a Pied Kingfisher perched on a telephone pole and a Spoonbill in a small dam.

I don’t know if anyone has birded this are, Villiers – Frankfort – Bethlehem, but it looks awesome. It consists of grasslands and plenty of “vlei” area all alongside the road. The rivers in the area are also flowing well.

Now just to find the time to spend a weekend in the area!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #2414 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Justin,

I have started to exlore the area to the south of Suikerbosrand, extending from Suikerbosrand down to the Vaal Dam, that also consists of very similar grassland and hills with vlei's, dams rivers, and even flooded grassland all over the place.

I believe this area, and of course extending further south to the area's you mention are well worth exploring as I believe they are relatively un-birded.

Cheers
Gordon

• JGB
  • JGB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #2415 by JGB
JGB replied the topic:
Hi Gordon,

Too true. I am lucky in that I travel quite extensively for business and often come upon areas that are good birding areas and yet no mention is made of them in any books or guides. It is just a matter of finding the time to revisit these areas at one leisure and explore them more extensively.

I am certain that there are many “un-birded” areas that are waiting to be discovered, and hopefully with time they are discovered before they catch the eyes of developers etc.

Cheers,
Justin

• Hanno Pretorius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4811 by Hanno Pretorius
Hanno Pretorius replied the topic: Frankfort
In reply to the original message above:

I have birded the Frankfort area (next to the Wilge River) extensively and I can assure anyone that it is very worthwile!

Some of the specials:
1. African Marsh Harrier
2. Marsh Owl
3. Red throated wryneck
4. Ground Woodpecker
5. Red Backed shrike
6. Gymnogene
7. Black crowned night heron....TO NAME A FEW!