Which owl?

• VicZA
  • VicZA's Avatar Topic Author
  • New member!
More
2 years 7 months ago #87192 by VicZA
VicZA created the topic: Which owl?
Hi Folks,

The following pictures were taken in Southern Katanga, DRC, about 50km East of Kolwezi. The owl in question was being mobbed by a number of smaller birds which drew my attention to it. It has dark brown & not yellow eyes, and a brown not whitish face, which make me think that it is not a Spotted eagle owl. Could it be Fraser's Eagle owl? (The range is normally central DRC & further North?) It’s a large bird – greater than 40cm at a guess.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #87193 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Which owl?
Hi John,

All my books are currently sitting in boxes so I don't currently have access but will ask Doug and others to have a look.

Cheers,
Gordon

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #87195 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Which owl?
John,

I've birded an area some 30km NE of Kolwezi myself some 7 years ago, picking up almost 200 species there. The only big owl I came across was definitely the Spotted. What worries me about your images is - as you say - the pale rufous facial disk and dark eyes. However, the ears are definitely tipped white not black as in Fraser's, and the wings of Fraser's do not have the lines of white blotches shown in your photos that are a characteristic of Spotted. It would be too convenient to rule out the dark eyes as just being an aberration of the lighting conditions. Given that Fraser's is only found much further north (supposedly) I would have to lean heavily towards Spotted, but some answer to apparently dark eyes and the colour of the facial disk need to be found.

Neil

P.S. I see your latest lifer is Black-collared Bulbul. Nice bird - that was one of my favourite additions to my Kolwezi area list.