Sunbird - Skukuza. Marico vs Purple-banded

More
3 years 5 months ago #86666 by Grant B
Grant B created the topic: Sunbird - Skukuza. Marico vs Purple-banded
Hi,

Found this sunbird at Skukuza interested in his own reflection in a car mirror. Marico is my guess? Purple banded is more [color=#4000BF:28wn0j62]"purple"[/color:28wn0j62] in the breast bar so to say, right? I read that the upper tail coverts of Purple banded are blue, not green. Now my photo shows a bluish green covert, or could this be the reflection of the car. I'm going with Marico though... Any thoughts?

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 5 months ago #86672 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Sunbird - Skukuza. Marico vs Purple-banded
Michael,

I have seen this behaviour from a Marico Sunbird in the car park at Lower Sabie too!

From memory - remember that I am sitting remotely in the UK, more so than usual as I am actually away from home and all my reference materials too - I would put this down as a Marico Sunbird. I've had the same debate at Ngwenya Lodge where I have seen both species on the same day. My feeling, and I will probably be shot down in flames is that -

1) you would probably get a good feel for which it is based on size
2) the Marico has a slightly longer and more decurved beak
3) in the Purple-banded the broad breast band is more purplish than the redder looker of the Marico, and the blue fringing band above it is a distinct blue band rather than just a blue-green "sheen" to the ends of the upper breast feathers as it manifests in the Marico.

On 3) alone I would be putting your bird into the Marico camp.

Let's see what others have to say.

Neil

More
3 years 5 months ago #86685 by Grant B
Grant B replied the topic: Re: Sunbird - Skukuza. Marico vs Purple-banded
I tend to agree with you. Also think its Marico although I've never seen either of them before so I can't compare from experience..
Thanks!

More
3 years 1 month ago #86894 by billbrooks
billbrooks replied the topic: Re: Sunbird - Skukuza. Marico vs Purple-banded
That's a gorgeous picture you have there!

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #87037 by herkimer
herkimer replied the topic: Re: Sunbird - Skukuza. Marico vs Purple-banded
Now my photo shows a bluish green covert, or could this be the reflection of the car. I'm going with Marico though... Any thoughts?