pipit confirmation

• arty
  • arty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86063 by arty
arty created the topic: pipit confirmation
The doc and I am convinced YBP, some pics from far off unfortunately but i am still convinced.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86064 by docandy
docandy replied the topic: Re: pipit confirmation
Hi Warren I agree!
The first picture shows the facial features best. The combination of dark moustachial stripe together with the white lores , together with the scalloped back convinced me initially. The overall jizz was certainly not that of any of the more regularly sighted pipits. However hindsight and looking carefully at the photographs of the pipit in the road posted earlier I have to agree with Matt. The chest is marked which makes it a Longbilled together with the white leyebrow and markings on the neck. There is also a lack of any yellow on the belly and chest.
At least we saw the second bird which was if memory serves me correct was much darker on the back and unmarked on the chest and belly. As far as I remember there was some yellow on the second bird's belly as well. This bird was the YBP! Hopefully the record for SABAP2 will still stand.
Thanks again for a really great day and I look forward to our next reunion!! :D

More
4 years 5 months ago #86065 by mdelport
mdelport replied the topic: Re: pipit confirmation
Hi guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is definitely a Long-billed Pipit.
The back of YBP is much more heavily marked as you can see from my pic below. Also the stance and jizz is slightly wrong. There are also markings on the breast of this bird, which YBP lacks, and has a plain, cream-coloured breast. This bird also has a white malar stripe, whereas YBP has no malar stripe and just has a small dark moustachial stripe.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/MattAxel05/285413b2-69ea-4ee0-8a41-b1355d519582_zps8dfe02c4.jpg?t=1370772678

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86066 by docandy
Well the good news for us is that there was another bird that was very heavily marked on the back and was unmarked below that was unfortunately too fast to photograph!
Compared to the numerous Long-billed Pipits around these two pipits really looked and behaved differently.
Thank you Matt for your help! :D

More
4 years 5 months ago #86067 by mdelport
mdelport replied the topic: Re: pipit confirmation
No problem Andy! Glad to hear that, as the only other bird up there that has a heavily marked back is Cape Longclaw, and that definitely isn't unmarked below.

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86068 by docandy
Certainly plenty of those but luckily most were calling which made id easier! :D

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86071 by docandy
I have posted some comments in hindsight and after looking at some previously posted photographs of the YBP above! In Faansie's excellent LBJ book there are some marking on the chest of the YBP but perhaps these are only seen at very close range and are much less prominent than in the LBP. Roberts Multimedia/Android versions have very few good photographs of non breeding YBP's so hopefully some of these excellent photographs will make the next edition! :D