Goshawk ID

• Martin Taylor
  • Martin Taylor's Avatar Topic Author
  • White-eye
More
4 years 7 months ago #85926 by Martin Taylor
Martin Taylor created the topic: Goshawk ID
Hi all,

I was browsing through some older photos (Mar 2009) and found this one on my "to ID" list. It seems to be an ???? Chanting Goshawk. From the books and some web searches, most of the juv birds show closer resemblance to Pale Chanting. However the pic was taken in the Southern part of Kruger (between Berg en Dal & Skukuza), which is in Dark Chanting territory.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

FB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #85927 by wildtuinman
wildtuinman replied the topic: Re: Goshawk ID
Definitely a Dark Chanting Goshawk.

Here are some photos of a similar bird we saw in Kruger.

http://www.laine-dirk.co.za/photos/163/163.html

• Martin Taylor
  • White-eye
More
4 years 7 months ago #85929 by Martin Taylor
Martin Taylor replied the topic: Re: Goshawk ID
Thanks. Good pics on your site.

It was probably more wishfull thinking on my part - was hoping to be able to tick another one off, but not this time.

FB

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #85930 by wildtuinman
Thanks Fuzzy Birder,

What were you hoping for? Maybe I can assist in you finding it.

• Martin Taylor
  • White-eye
More
4 years 6 months ago #85935 by Martin Taylor
Hi wildtuinman. The easy answer is approx 950 species less 282 ticks (mainly Gauteng & KNP) - still looking for around 670 species . So I take what I can get. I am spending a lot more time on LBJ and raptor ID which consumes a lot of the little time I have for birding.

On the Goshawk side, I am still short the Pale Chanting & African. My focus for now is areas north of Pretoria - visiting sites in Birding Gauteng.

FB

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 6 months ago #85936 by wildtuinman
Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk I have seen quite a few times at Kgomo-Kgomo. South of the bridge along the tar road perched on pylons. But by far the best place to see them is the Karoo along the N1 where they sit on pylons in very good numbers.

There is no better place to find African Goshawk than in Nelspruit. The suburbs around Nelspruit nature reserve and Mbombela nature reserve early morning is just about a 100% guaranteed spot.

In Kruger, Skukuza is also a great spot to find it. But I have found an immature near Croc Bridge and an adult at Shingwedzi as well.
In the greater Gauteng area, I have only seen it once - Along the Wilgeriver valley road.

Always be on the listen for their characteristic call.

More
4 years 6 months ago #85939 by mdelport
mdelport replied the topic: Re: Goshawk ID
Agree with WTM; Kgomo-Kgomo and Zaagkuil is a good place around wider Gauteng for Pale Chanters, but they get really common the more west you go in the country. For African Goshawk the best spot I know is at Ngwenya Lodge close to Crocodile Bridge, where one has perched on the main bat box almost every evening without fail for the past few years. If you're lucky you might even see it catch a bat!

Dirk, I didn't know you've seen Af Gos at Wilge! What year was that? Cracking wider Gauteng bird!

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 6 months ago #85940 by wildtuinman
Hi Matt,

I cannot remember the exact year, but I think it was 2009. I will find out from Laine is she can remember the exact year.

I remember that at one stage around 2007/2008 that people reported African Goshawk from Brooklyn, Pretoria via Pretoria Birdnet.

• Martin Taylor
  • White-eye
More
4 years 6 months ago #85941 by Martin Taylor
Thanks for the pointers. We will probably be out in the Kgomo area in the next 2-3 weeks.

The next time we go to the Kruger we will also make a point of stopping off in Nelspruit. Usually just bypass - especially with the new road. Can you recommend one or two sites for general birding in/arond Nelspruit if we were to stop off for a few hours. I will also check the SABAP2 species lists for the various pentads in the area

FB

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 6 months ago #85942 by wildtuinman
The botanical gardens can be productive if you can get there early enough. Mbombela Nature Reserve is always an excellent spot. Unfortunately because of safety risks I would no longer recommend Nelspruit Nature Reserve, unless you go in a group.

Kaapschehoop, +- 20 from Nelspruit is also a must for birding.