Redbacked Shrike? On behalf of Johan Nieuwoudt

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #322 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Redbacked Shrike? On behalf of Johan Nieuwoudt
Hi All.

I have not had a chance to look at thepic myself yet, but Johanasked me to post this on the forum for him so that you could all comment on wether this is a Juv Redbacked Shrike? It was seen in West Coast national Park which, apparently according to Sasol, is very unusual there.

Regards.
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #323 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Redbacked shrike?
Your image sems to me to be an immature redbacked shrike for the following reasons:

cf my photo of an immature common fiscal (I saw the parents feeding it so am sure of the ID) http://www.graybirds.net/graybirds/images/marievale/640images/Immature_Common_Fiscal_640x480%

1) Tail appears to be (and should be) shorter than that of an immature common fiscal

2) There is the hint of a pale eyebrow, which is absent in the common fiscal.

3) the breast appears nicely scalloped as opposed to the fine barring of the common fiscal.

However, since identifying juvenile birds is notoriously difficult, due to the rapid changes in appearance (my photo looks rather different to the image on the Roberts Ver3.1 CD for instance) I would welcome comments on whether the three things I have used for ID can be in any way definitive.

Neil Gray

• CJW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #327 by CJW
CJW replied the topic:
I can't really comment on the separation from Common Fiscal, having only seen adults, but surely they can't look like this?
This is a 1st winter Red-backed Shrike.