Article - Cat Free Feeders!

• robertwienand
  • robertwienand's Avatar Topic Author
  • New member!
More
7 years 4 days ago #36025 by robertwienand
robertwienand created the topic: Article - Cat Free Feeders!
[size=200:1qaymk7c]Cat Free Feeders![/size:1qaymk7c]
[size=150:1qaymk7c]What to do about hunters![/size:1qaymk7c]

By Joshua Pellicioti
http://www.thebirdsite.com/forum

If, like me, you are real passionate about bird watching, then you probably have set up bird feeders in your backyard. This is obviously the best way to enjoy bird's presence from the comfort of your own home. They might not be around all the time, but it's a lot more practical then going out and finding birds to observe. It might be just has fun or even more fun to go out and find them, but it is hard to go out and enjoy birds on a daily basis. Bird feeders make our hobby easy to practice everyday day.

Unfortunately, bird feeders also attract unwanted visitors that come to feed or to amuse themselves. In this article, I will be elaborating on the unwanted visitors that are the cats.

As much as we love our feathered friends, some people love their hairy friends. You might, especially if you live in an urban area, have neighbors with one of many cats that they let run loose during the day. If you are unlucky, that could become a problem at your feeders. Cats have the instinct to hunt. Although they do not necessary hunt to feed themselves, it is a natural behavior for a cat to try and catch prey. You absolutely do not want them to prey on your bird friends.

How do you deal with this situation? Well Karl, a member on my forum at <!-- w --> www.thebirdsite.com/forum <!-- w --> answered very simplistically "gun". Well, that method might be very effective and will give you instant results, but obviously, I would recommend another option. Thank you for trying Karl and I do appreciate good humor on my board.

Here is what I have done in the past: I openly brought the matter to my neighbors that owned the cat. You could be surprised at the results dialog will give you in this kind of situation. I do not know how they managed to correct the situation, but I have never seen their black and white cat around my bird feeders ever again. Make sure you press the issue that it is not safe for their cat to hang around your feeders. If a cat snaps a bird and eats it, there is a risk that this cat will develop parasite problems or disease which could be fatal. You can also talk your neighbors into making the cat wear a bell which would attract attention to them whenever they move. Now sure, I was lucky. What if the cat was wild or what if I had especially inconsiderate neighbors that would not have been interested in correcting the issue?

In comes a little bit of psychology, you backyard is a playground for a cat and he very much enjoys spending time chasing birds and coming up with hunting strategies. Lets change that shall we? My backyard is not a safe place for a cat to be. Now how do you do that without getting yourself, a responsible adult, into issues?

I will be blunt with your, I am unsure of it myself. One thing we all know is cats are terrified of dogs. Therefore, if you have a dog, let him spend a bit of time into your backward. Have your canine friend on a leach or cord so he can not go hunt the birds himself. When the cat will come near your backward and realize a dog is there, he will know that this yard is unsafe.

Another trick that might be a little mean (but hey! We are doing this for birds sake) is to expose the cat to water. We all know how cats hate water just as much as the hate dogs. Well, when I was younger, and a cat was lurking around my bird feeders, I once pretended I was bringing this cat water. He was quite intrigued and let me get very close to him. At that point, I threw all the water I was carrying in the bowl at the cat that then ran off as if I just had shot a bullet at him. I guess that is one way of scaring a cat.

Another simple way that involves water is to set up, very close to where the cat usually hunts, a nice water sprinkler that is sure to make a big slash and to wait patiently near the source of the water for your cat to show up. When it does show up, open the water full jet and see the cat run away.

You definitely want to keep your bird feeders high in the air and have a safe distance from anywhere a cat could hide. I would say to keep your feeders at least 10 feet away from bushes or trees. Keep them close enough for the birds to go hide into, but far enough so that a surprise attack from a cat is not possible.

If you must, you can also purchase items such as CatStop. This device emits high-frequencies sounds that cats despite. With this gadget, cats will stay far away from your ward.

I am convinced that with a little imagination, you can scare your cat away with your own complicated and sophisticated or very simple techniques. Some will suggest to set up chicken wire near your feeders.

If you have any other technique and would be interested to share them, come to my forum and chat with us about this matter.

Keep sharing your love for birds and keep them safe.

Joshua Pellicioti.

20-Nov-2010
http://www.thebirdsite.com/forum

[color=#008040:1qaymk7c]A word about the author:

Joshua Pellicioti is the webmaster at [url=http://www.thebirdsite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.thebirdsite.com[/url]
He also manages the site’s forum and has frequent discussion topics about bird related subjects where he takes input from bird amateurs and professionals to afterward write an article about the subject.

If you want to help Joshua write his articles and want to have passionate discussions about bird related matter. You can also come by and post your bird pictures or watch other members pictures!

Drop by is forum: http://www.thebirdsite.com/forum

Everyone is welcome and thebirdsite.com is where bird lovers share their passion.[/color:1qaymk7c]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.